Josef hírek

2012.08.26. 10:41

Jobbik march ban legal, says ombudsman

Budapest, August 24 (MTI) - Hungary s basic rights ombudsman said the police were right to ban a march planned by radical nationalist Jobbik between Kossuth Square in front of parliament and the Buda Castle this weekend.

Budapest, August 24 (MTI) - Hungary s basic rights ombudsman said the police were right to ban a march planned by radical nationalist Jobbik between Kossuth Square in front of parliament and the Buda Castle this weekend.

Mate Szabo said in a statement that the police decision to ban the event planned for Saturday did not violate Jobbik s assembly rights and was not discriminatory. Police must ban an event if it hinders traffic and there are no alternative routes of passage possible. Szabo said, however, that this reasoning, which is part of the law on free assembly, was difficult to properly underpin with professional arguments and therefore carried the risk that rights could be harmed.

 

Earlier in the day the government spokesman s office said in a statement that a recent court decision which obliged police to allow and secure another procession on Saturday marking the fifth anniversary of the Hungarian Guard, a banned paramilitary organisation, had to be respected. At the same time, the government stood determined to protect plural democracy against all ideologies and actions that promote exclusion and hatred, the statement added.

 

The government makes it clear that it fully rejects the ideology that adherents of the banned organisation stands for, the statement said. The state maintains its monopoly to administer justice and does not tolerate illegal paramilitary organisations, it added.

 

All precautions will be taken by police to ensure that order is maintained at the event and if any unlawful act is committed, it will act with the full force of law, the statement said.

 

In a statement of Friday, the Hungarian Resistance and Anti-Fascist Association (MEASZ) condemned the planned event, saying that it protested against the fact that three years after the Hungarian Guard was outlawed, a judge gave the go-ahead for the Saturday rally in Heroes Square.

Hírlevél feliratkozás
Ne maradjon le a boon.hu legfontosabb híreiről! Adja meg a nevét és az e-mail-címét, és mi naponta elküldjük Önnek a legfontosabb híreinket!

Ezek is érdekelhetik

Hírlevél feliratkozás
Ne maradjon le a boon.hu legfontosabb híreiről! Adja meg a nevét és az e-mail-címét, és mi naponta elküldjük Önnek a legfontosabb híreinket!